What type of events does Timing.Mobi support?
Timing.Mobi caters best for smaller races or events (below 1000 race participants) where participants arrive at the finish line at a tempo that allows for the easy scanning of each participant’s QR race number.
Because you are only limited by how effectively your timekeepers can scan the participant’s QR number, the Timing.Mobi can be used for a vast amount of different events, amongst others:
- Trail running
- Adventure running
- Mountain bike races
- Park runs
- Family events
- Cross country
- Fun runs or charity runs
- Club time trials
- Open water swimming
- Multi-stage events
- And many more
While Timing.Mobi is an incredibly versatile system catering for a wide range of events it is not the best solution for short events such as 100-meter sprints, drag racing or events where lots of participants will cross the finish line at the same time.
Does every participant need a mobile phone?
No, participants do not need a mobile phone. This is how it works:
- Every race participant has a Timing.Mobi QR race number. (More about Timing.Mobi QR race numbers )
- At each timing point (such as the finish line) a timekeeper scans the QR race number of the race participant, using a mobile phone. This action is called “ScanAndGo”.
- This scanned data is then used to calculate the participant time and position on the leader board.
What items are needed when using Timing.Mobi?
The following is needed
- Laptop/Desktop to set up the event in 4 easy steps (this is once off, and you don’t need the laptop again at the race).
- Every race participant needs a Timing.Mobi QR race number (More about Timing.Mobi QR race numbers )
- At each timing point (such as the start or finish line) you need at least one mobile phone with a camera and internet browser to scan the QR race numbers.
- Internet connection if you want live results (The system can also work offline, but the results will only show once the internet connection is restored. See How to time offline
How many participants can Timing.Mobi time at an event?
You are only limited by how effectively your timekeepers can scan participants QR race numbers when they arrive at a timing point. You can have multiple timekeepers at each timing point thus making it possible to scan a multitude of participants easily and effectively.
Can I use it for free?
Yes, events with 30 or less participants are timed for free. For events with 30 or more participants payment is made in the form of prepaid credits purchased directly from the Timing.mobi website (How much will it cost me)
Can I use Timing.Mobi anywhere in the world?
Yes, you can! Timing.Mobi can be used across the globe. If you are in South Africa, you will be charged in ZAR for your timing credits. If you reside outside of South Africa you will be charged in USD.
What type of phone do I need?
Any mobile phone with a working camera and internet browser.
Why is Timing.Mobi not an App anymore?
Been there. Done that. The new trend in technology is to move away from App downloads & inconvenient App updates. Now, all mobile phones with a working camera, internet browser & connection, can scan race participants as they cross the finish line.
Can I add participants at the last minute?
Yes, you can! You can control all aspects of the participant lists from your mobile device or laptop. This allows you to edit/add/delete participants at any time before or after the event without any risk of affecting the timing data. (How to manage participants)
Can I use Timing.Mobi in rural areas?
Yes, you can. The timing system will still time and store results without needing an internet connection. (How to use Timing.Mobi if there is no internet connection)
Note that you will only be able to see any race results once your phone (with all the timing data on) reaches internet connectivity again and synced successfully to the Timing.Mobi server.
Tip: You need to ensure that you login beforehand to the Timing.Mobi system with your pin whilst you still have an internet connection.
What happens if we do not have internet connectivity?
The system will time and store results without needing an internet connection. But in order for you to receive timing results you have to:
- Ensure you are logged in to the Timing.Mobi browser link with your Pin whilst you still have an internet connection.
- You will not be able to add late registrations if you cannot sync the phone with our server before the race starts.
- You will be able to time all pre-registered race participants.
- Start your race as normal from your phone.
- Scan all the race participants as normal, when crossing the finish line. All the race results will be stored on the phone, but you will not have live race results.
- After the event, sync your phone to our server so that all the race results will still appear on the Timing.Mobi website.
Do you only use “ScanAndGo” for timing?
We also offer a very simple manual timing option, if you prefer to type in the race number manually rather than scanning a QR code. It works on the same platform, the only difference is you type in a manual race number in when timing in the browser. (See how to do manual timing.)